Common Types of Tiles used in Singapore
- Author : vmadmin2
The versatility of tiles plays an important role in both residential and commercial areas. While tiles are used to cover up certain flaws of walls and flooring, they also add an enhancing element that beautifies the interior of any place. In the earlier days, only ceramic tiles were the commonly used. Nowadays, we can now enjoy a wide variety of tiles that come in different sizes, structures, designs, and features.
At TM Tiling Singapore, we give our clients the freedom to choose their preferred type of tiles that best suits their lifestyles.
Looking to do tile installation or renovation soon? Take a look at the six common types of tiles in Singapore and the reasons why clients prefer them.
- Homogeneous tiles
If you’ve probably noticed, homogeneous tiles are largely used in offices and HDB BTO flats in Singapore, and this is because of the following reasons:
- Its colour runs throughout the material as it is a full-body porcelain tile, which makes cracks on its surface not as obvious.
- Made up of durable materials that are suitable for both walls and floors
- Highly affordable tiles and low maintenance
- Non-porous and water-resistant
- Has a wide range of surface designs to choose from
- Ceramic Tiles
Widely popular between the 1980s to 1990s in older houses and HDB flats in Singapore, ceramic tiles also have its fair share of desirable and undesirable characteristics. Read some of them below:
- Made up of clay and topped with a glazed surface that makes scratches and cracks clearly visible, which eventually requires tile repair or replacement.
- Mostly preferred to used in on wall tiling installations nowadays because of its range of designer surfaces.
- Gives a richer and classier look than homogeneous tiles.
- Price range differs according to specific designs. A more sophisticated design tends to be more expensive.
- Porcelain Tiles
Like homogeneous tiles, porcelain tiles are also highly regarded in Singapore. Here are some of its features:
- Stronger and tougher than ceramic tiles
- Treated under high temperatures to make it more durable
- Can be glazed or unglazed
- More affordable
- Unglazed tiles are also known as homogeneous tiles
- Suitable for both wall and floor tiling renovations and installations
- Porous and water-resistant
- Marble Tiles
Marble tiles are considered one of the most exquisite tiles in Singapore. Despite being more expensive, these natural stone tiles are in high demand as they are viewed to add more class to interiors such as in living rooms, hallways, and bathrooms. Go through some of its properties below:
- Luxurious and has sophisticated details
- Has a dense structure, making it ideal for areas exposed to heavy foot traffic
- Originated from limestones
- Resistant to corrosion, erosion, and fire
- Slippery and not water-resistant
- Requires high maintenance
- Mosaic Tiles
Commonly used in bathroom walls in Singapore, mosaic tiles are bright and colourful tiles that make any area look more vibrant. Take a look at some of its qualities below
- Made up of small pieces of materials like ceramics, porcelain, and glass that are shaped into different designs
- Aside from bathrooms, mosaic tiles are also used in kitchen countertops.
- Classified as more expensive
- Easy to maintain as they require no polishing or grouting
- Waterproof, non-porous, and chemically safe
- Its smooth surface prevents the growth of germs and bacteria, making it more hygienic than other tiles.
- Granite Tiles
Granite tiles can be considered the most expensive type of tiles used in tile renovations in Singapore.
- Made up of rocks the come up from solidified lava
- Extremely strong and durable
- Resistant to scratches
- Highly expensive
- Has uniform patterns and natural designed
- Can be used in other parts of the house if you have a budget to spare
Have a tiling work in mind? TM Tiling Singapore provides a variety of tiling services suitable for any areas and budget. Just contact us to speak to our professional tiling contractors regarding any tiling needs. While you’re at it, browse our range of completed tiling projects. Call us now at +65 6653 5655 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team of tiling experts will get back to you as soon as they can.Tags: ceramic tiles, Ceramic tiles singapore, granite tiles, Granite tiles singapore, homogeneous tiles, Homogeneous tiles singapore, marble tiles, Marble tiles singapore, mosaic tiles, Mosaic tiles singapore, Porcelain tile, porcelain tiles, Porcelain tiles singapore, tiles singapore